Re: Fetching or installing package dev source from VCS: manual style

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Fetching or installing package dev source from VCS: manual style
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 18:04:46 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 08:05:29 -0400
>
>   >   If you have made a change you wish to share
>   > with the maintainers, first commit your changes then use the command
>   > @code{package-vc-prepare-patch} to share it.  @xref{Preparing Patches}.
>
> This presumes that a user who suggests a patch to a program will or
> should commit that change to some repo in order to email the a patch.
> This is an extra step and seems like a gratuitous requirement.

It is quite an accepted practice these days.  We prefer to get such
patches because they are easier to install -- a single command applies
the patch and makes a commit with the log message provided with the
patch.

On the contributor's side, committing is easy, and if the contributor
wants, he or she can back out the commit right away, or do it on a
scratch branch, or another of the gazillion techniques for that.

Or request for "git format-patch" in CONTRIBUTE assumes this workflow.