Re: Fetching or installing package dev source from VCS: manual style

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Fetching or installing package dev source from VCS: manual style
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 14:13:03 +0300

> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 06:58:02 +0000
>
> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >   > --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> >   > @node Package from Source
> >   > @section Package from Source
> >   > @cindex package development source
> >   > @cindex package upstream source
> >   > @cindex package git source @c "git" is not technically correct
> >
> > That improves the @cindex commands.  But please look at the whole
> > manual's index and see where these two show up.  If two of them appear
> > close together, there is no need for both.  If they are separated  by
> > several other commands, then it is useful to have both.
>
> 3 matches for "Package from Source" in buffer: *info*
>    1511:* package development source:            Package from Source.
>    1515:* package git source:                    Package from Source.
>    1525:* package upstream source:               Package from Source.
>
> They seem close-by, so I am not sure if it is worth it.

What's worse, they all point to the same place in the text.

What I recommend doing in these cases is to reshuffle the words:

 @cindex package development source
 @cindex upstream source, for packages
 @cindex git source of package @c "git" is not technically correct

This way, typing "package TAB" will still show all of them, but if
someone thinks about "upstream source", for example, they can type
"upstream source TAB" and find this.

> I have to admit that I have never used the concept index directly.

It is not very useful, except for finding duplicate and redundant
entries.