Volunteering to help on etc/TODO item: Improved xwidgets support

From: Andrew De Angelis
Subject: Volunteering to help on etc/TODO item: Improved xwidgets support
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 11:55:28 -0400

Hello everyone and thanks for all your work!

This is regarding TODO item: "Things to be done for specific packages or features/NeXTstep port/Missing features/Improved xwidgets support"

I've started working on the NS code for xwidget-webkit, with the aim of bringing it up-to-date with the changes to the X11 and GTK code (you can check my as-yet-still-very-minor changes at this fork).
I'm sending the email to:
1) check if someone is already working on this
2) make sure I'm going about it the right way
3) inquire about the current X11/GTK implementation.

Regarding 1:
I haven't found many recent matches for 'xwidget' in the mailing list, but if you're aware of someone already working on this effort, please let me know

Regarding 2:
As noted in the Contributing node of the manual, I'm making you aware of my planned improvements and I'd like to know if you have any suggestions/advice. My current plan is to go through the xwidget.c code, take note of any functions/subroutines that are defined for GTK but not NS, and add an NS implementation in xwidget.m.
I will do my best to complete this so that the NS code will be fully up-to-date. If there are any planned changes to xwidget.c or xwidget.el for the upcoming 29.1 release, please let me know.
I don't know if I'll be able to have this ready for the 29.1 release, but I can keep you up to speed on my progress.

Regarding 3:
I do not have a Linux machine available at the moment, which would be valuable to get a better sense of the current GTK implementation (I'm working on finding additional volunteers to help on this).
Is there a standard-procedure I can follow to ask questions here about the GTK implementation? Is there a point person I should contact specifically?
I would like to keep the two different implementations as consistent as possible, while also making sure that common bugs are addressed.
One question I have regarding this is on the `xwidget-webkit--loading-p' variable: in my build, I see that this is set to true when creating a new session, but it is then never updated to nil (even long after the web page has fully loaded). Since this variable is not present in the C code, I'm not sure if this is a limitation of the Lisp code (and therefore common regardless of the underlying framework, GTK or NS), or if it's handled correctly in other builds.

Thanks for reading this long email, feel free to address each of the three different points individually.

Best,
Andrew