Re: emacs-28 b7d7c2d9e9: Add cross-reference to alternative syntaxes for

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: emacs-28 b7d7c2d9e9: Add cross-reference to alternative syntaxes for Unicode
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 15:43:45 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> We use "such as" and "like" and "for example" and others, but we also
> use "e.g.".  I find nothing wrong with that; technical literature out
> there is full of those, and people who use and develop software should
> be familiar with this abbreviation.  (And if they aren't, there's
> always Wikipedia, and our Glossary also explains it.)  That is part of
> everyone's education, if you will.
>
> I'm sorry, but I refuse to give in to such "winds of change".  Where
> it feels natural to say "e.g.", we will not avoid saying that just
> because someone might need to go look it up.  Of course, we shouldn't
> use it too much: for example, using more than one in places too close
> to one another should be definitely avoided.

FWIW, even living in a country where the average level of proficiency in
English is very low, I find that most people are able to understand
abbreviations such as "i.e." and "e.g."; they are taught in the
education system and are in fact used quite often on the internet.

So I don't see why using any of those abbreviations (which may as well
be called colloquialisms) would be a problem.