Re: Replace 'pp' with 'prin1' to generate ELPA archive-contents

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Replace 'pp' with 'prin1' to generate ELPA archive-contents
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 11:00:55 -0400

Stefan Kangas [2022-10-22 04:56:47] wrote:
> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>> I've just tried replacing the 'pp' call with 'prin1' in elpa-admin's
>> `elpaa-update-archive-contents', and on my checkout the size dropped
>> from ~130 kb to 100 kb.  It is not much, but I don't understand why the
>> archive contents should be pretty printed, and even a few kilobyte less
>> can make a difference for some people.
> If we care about 30kb, how adding gzip support instead?

Gzippping this file and the tarballs would be a very welcome
change, yes.  The main issue is to make sure all the expected clients
can decompress those files.

IOW we need to add support for that to `package.el`.
The sooner the better.

AFAIK it's pretty easy to add support to Apache to auto-generate the
`.gz` files on the fly.  I tried setting up the server to do the
opposite (automatically serving the uncompressed version of the file
when the file name without `.gz` is requested) but couldn't get it
to work.

        Stefan