Re: Allowing rolling release packages on ELPA

From: Jostein Kjønigsen
Subject: Re: Allowing rolling release packages on ELPA
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 08:45:35 +0200

On 24.10.2022 08:14, Bozhidar Batsov wrote:
The patch seems fine to me, but I'm a bit skeptical about the whole rolling releases idea in general

This is the default operation for MELPA, which arguably has more popular packages than ELPA.

It works fine.

should something like a change to the docs really result in a new release?

Yes. Unconditionally.

Every patch is probably a feature or a bug-fix to some aspect of the package. As a user, I want those as soon as they are available.

How hard it is for people to actually update version timestamps themselves or to just stick to the *-devel repos if they don't want to cut releases?

As a package-developer, I may release patches weekly, but I update main versions maybe once every second year, if/when someone bothers me about it.

Not having to version things manually is a god-send.

How much was the demand for something like this in general? I can't think of any major Emacs package that does rolling releases.

All of them does, if they're on MELPA. That's what MELPA does.

--

Jostein