Re: [patch: first impression]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [patch: first impression]
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 14:15:57 +0300

> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>,
>  "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de>,
>  georges.racinet@octobus.net, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 11:14:27 +0200
>
> > Deleting hunks is already supported:
>
> >     k runs the command diff-hunk-kill (found in diff-mode-shared-map),
> >     which is an interactive byte-compiled Lisp function in `diff-mode.el'.
>
> >     It is bound to k and M-k.
>
> >     (diff-hunk-kill)
>
> >     Kill the hunk at point.
>
> Thanks, I think I mentioned that
>
> > Extending that to support a prefix count arg and the region shouldnʼt
> > be too hard.
>
> I am not sure that prefix count would be that useful (I wouldn't count
> hunk before deleting them in mass. It sounds a bit like a keyboard
> macro)

I think we should support an argument to mean the count of hunks to
delete.  And negative arguments should kill backward.  Every Emacs
command that kills does (or at least should) behave like that, and I
think this is a nice and convenient consistency.

> Deleting regions would  be nice, however

Only complete hunks in the region, I guess?  Deleting partial hunks
will make the diffs invalid.