Re: feature/package+vc 04c4c578c7 3/4: Allow for packages to be installe

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: feature/package+vc 04c4c578c7 3/4: Allow for packages to be installed directly from VCS
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 14:58:35 -0400

>> AFAIK this is sufficiently hypothetical that I'm really not convinced
>> it's worth the extra work (and the risk of incompatibilities between
>> the `elpa-admin.el` behavior and that if `package-vc`, e.g. where they
>> might disagree on which commit is "the" release).
>
> I don't know, to me this sounds more like an argument against merging
> elpa-admin.el and package-vc.el...

It's not about sharing the code here (for which I have lobbied in other
messages), but about sharing the behavior.
`elpa-admin.el` de facto defines a "protocol" that upstream maintainers
have to follow.  If `package-vc` doesn't follow the same protocol,
end-users will suffer unexpected discrepancies.

>> We can try to add some support for other local-VCS afterwards, but it
>> shouldn't be a priority.
> So you would say that the support for other VCS should be removed?

Not necessarily removed, but considered second class for now.

        Stefan