Re: feature/package+vc 04c4c578c7 3/4: Allow for packages to be installe

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: feature/package+vc 04c4c578c7 3/4: Allow for packages to be installed directly from VCS
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 12:57:49 -0400

>>                 We're not there yet, but the above adds info which we
>> can (and do in `elpa-admin.el`) extract from the VCS, so it's going
>> "backward".  IOW, it's making things worse rather than better.
>
> You mean the addition of :release-rev, right?

Yes.

> Yes, it could be extracted from the VCS, but finding a generic system
> is tricky as you have mentioned.  How about a new VC method
> `last-change' that takes a region and returns the last revision that
> affected it.  Any backend that supports `annotate' ought to be able to
> determine it, right?

Fine by me.  As mentioned earlier, there's a good chance that if you use
a different VCS than Git, this method will sometimes end up selecting
a different commit than `elpa-admin.el`, but if we insist on supporting
a local VCS different from the one used by `elpa-admin.el`, then we
probably have to live with that.

        Stefan