Re: Implementation direction for shell-script-mode with tree-sitter

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Implementation direction for shell-script-mode with tree-sitter
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 09:06:39 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org,  Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>,  Theodor Thornhill
>  <theo@thornhill.no>,  Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 08:54:01 +0800
>
> > My goal is to use the `sh-feature' function to retrieve everything
> > that needs to be fontified for the buffer's shell variant.
>
> So won't you end up, in effect, reproducing the existing font-lock code?

If that's so, I personally am not worried.

>From where I stand, the single most important improvement from using
tree-sitter in shell-mode buffers is to solve the problems with
fontifications in tricky cases like here-documents etc.  These are a
source of constant stream of bug reports, when people expect us to do
a decent job in those cases.  I hope tree-sitter could solve that once
and for all.