Re: Font setting issue in recent emacs dev version

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Font setting issue in recent emacs dev version
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 09:50:58 +0300

> From: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 14:10:15 +1100
>
>    Emacs developers
> Have encountered a font issue in recent dev emacs and wanted to verify it
> isn't due to a known change before
> creating a bug report.

Please in the future report any problems as bugs, so that they are
recorded by the issue tracker.

> The basic issue is that setting a default font in my init file doesn't seem
> to work. However, executing the same
> code in the scratch buffer after boot does set the font. This problem was
> encountered today after pulling from
> current HEAD. The previous version, from just after eglot was merged, works
> fine, so it seems to be due to
> something which has changed in the last couple of weeks.

The only change since 83fbda715973f57dc49fe0 that could be somehow
relevant is the one that touches the support for XSETTINGS on some
configurations.  (If you had reported this as a bug, the bug report
would have included the details of your configuration, and I could
then see if those changes could be relevant, instead of
hypothesizing.)  If that is indeed the offending changeset, then I
guess the issue has something to do with your system-wide font
settings.

In any case, bisection would be appreciated.

> Is this due to some change associated with set-face-attribute or some new bug
> which needs a bug report?

It doesn't matter; please always report such things as bugs.  Having a
bug number and all its discussion easily traceable makes tracking such
issues much easier.

Thanks.