Re: master 31945b6c3f: * lisp/progmodes/eglot.el (eglot): Ensure managed

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master 31945b6c3f: * lisp/progmodes/eglot.el (eglot): Ensure managed-major-mode is a list
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 23:52:11 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> They also make patches harder to review, sometimes much harder.

Fully agreed.  That's why I'd prefer it if people would make whitespace
changes separately from functional changes.  Our current rule
unfortunately seems to encourage putting it all in the same patch.

Personally, I try to edit out most whitespace changes from my patches.
But occasionally, the temptation of fixing some egregious indentation is
too big, also for me.

> Not as long as the "diff" operation of the VCS treats whitespace as
> significant by default.  Presumably, they do this for a reason, and
> therefore patches we get to review do not ignore whitespace.

It's hard to hope for a change in that default in Git itself, as long as
whitespace is significant in some languages.  Fortunately, that's not
the case for Emacs Lisp or C.