Re: Help sought understanding shorthands wrt modules/packages

From: Gerd Möllmann
Subject: Re: Help sought understanding shorthands wrt modules/packages
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 06:33:09 +0100

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > But let me add, as notorious trouble-maker, that shorthands consist of
>   > problems only.
>
> If you say that, I guess you don't see how they are useful.

I think I understand pretty well when they are useful, in the same way
as defvar-alias and such are useful.  Anything going beyond that I
consider potentially harmful.

> I would like to write to explain it, but I can't do that just now.  I
> am far more overloaded than usual.  I am backlogged by about 1500
> emails MORE than I was backlogged 10 days ago, and struggling to deal
> with that.

No problem, take your time.

> There is no hurry about this issue, so please stop pressuring people
> to rush it.  Let's wait a couple of weeks, so that I have time to read
> the article about CL packages that you refered to, and then write
> something about it.

I'm not pressuring anyone intentially.  I don't even know how that could
be.  By the existence of the branch with CL packages?  Or by asking
questions and giving, hopefully rational, arguments?

And even if someone feels pressured, honestly, so what?

And how is that related to your personal time situation, in the first
place?  I at least am not expecting or waiting for some kind of verdict.
I do what I feel like doing to the degree possible.  Take it or leave
it, so to say.

>   > Let's see.  I hope that ideology doesn't play a role in Emacs,
>
> I don't see that it directly enters into this issue, though.

That's good.