Re: Help sought understanding shorthands wrt modules/packages

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Help sought understanding shorthands wrt modules/packages
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 12:49:27 -0400

  > Please do test it, but in any case please don't install before the
  > emacs-29 release branch is cut.  This change is significant enough to
  > not risk it for the upcoming release of Emacs 29.

That is unreasonable.  People have been installing very large changes
just lately.  This is an added small feature that won't affect any code
unless it explicitly uses this, which currently nothing does.

Since it finishes an existing feature and makes it usable for the most
important case, we should definitely install it before Emacs 29.

I now have tested it -- a simple case now works.  If someone tells me
how to install the s package from NonGNU ELPA, I could test that too.
(I have never installed anything from ELPA.)

I wrote text for etc/NEWS:

    ** Shorthands for loading a file can be specified from "outside".

    The new function `load-with-shorthands' loads a file
    and specifies additional shorthands for reading it.

I wrote this simple interface function in shorthands.el.

    (defun load-with-shorthands (file add-shorthands)
      "Load FILE adding the additional shorthands in ADD-SHORTHANDS.
    ADD-SHORTHANDS should be an alist of symbol renamings to apply
    when loading FILE; see Info node `(elisp)Shorthands' for more details.
    These shorthands act before the shorthands specified in the file itself."
      (load file nil nil nil nil add-shorthands))