Re: Help sought understanding shorthands wrt modules/packages

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Help sought understanding shorthands wrt modules/packages
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 10:05:32 +0100

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Richard,

>   > Please do test it, but in any case please don't install before the
>   > emacs-29 release branch is cut.  This change is significant enough to
>   > not risk it for the upcoming release of Emacs 29.
>
> That is unreasonable.  People have been installing very large changes
> just lately.  This is an added small feature that won't affect any code
> unless it explicitly uses this, which currently nothing does.
>
> Since it finishes an existing feature and makes it usable for the most
> important case, we should definitely install it before Emacs 29.

Handling of shorthands is implemented in lread.c. File name handlers for
`load' don't know (yet) what to do.

Should the file name handlers ignore shorthands? Or could you provide
the shorthands implementation in lread.c as a Lisp function, which could
be called from the handlers? Or do you expect the file name handlers to
implement shorthands handling on their own?

> I wrote text for etc/NEWS:
>
>     ** Shorthands for loading a file can be specified from "outside".
>
>     The new function `load-with-shorthands' loads a file
>     and specifies additional shorthands for reading it.

Please use APOSTROPHE only in etc/NEWS, and not a GRAVE ACCENT.

Best regards, Michael.