Re: Making `eglot-server-programs' a custom variable?

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Making `eglot-server-programs' a custom variable?
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 21:45:59 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
>> Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 10:25:11 +0000
>> Cc: Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> But I disagree that we should endeavor to be exhaustive in that list
>> and think that tweaking the variable is a rare event.
>
> This is a project-level goal of the Emacs project, and as such is up
> to the maintainers to set and pursue.  Even if the maintainers are
> wrong, in your opinion.

eglot-server-programs grew formidably over the last 4 years, and I have
no objections to keep growing it.  Being exhaustive is going to be
reasonably hard, because so many servers will continue to appear.  Even
faster than programming languages.  And some servers are just abandoned,
which is another annoyance.  And we should not assume the user won't
want to tweak to add flags or servers we don't know about.  That would
contradicts my lengthy experience with the uses of this variable.

Anyway, I prefer to focus my limited time on other aspects of Eglot, but
you're certainly not "wrong" if you make adding new servers a priority.

João