Re: Thoughts on replacing macros with static inline functions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Thoughts on replacing macros with static inline functions
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 09:53:37 -0500

> Why do you not consider __attribute__((always_inline)) an improvement
> over macros where applicable?

Can we drop this discussion.  AFAIK all those who matter already
explained clearly that we generally agree it's an improvement, but that
it's not enough of an improvement to justify making the change just for
the sake of it.

IOW we all agree on the general idea, we just disagree on the degrees
and I see no way we'll convince each other to agree on what degree
is right.  So we just have to tolerate other people's preferences, with
the understanding that none of us is *right*.

        Stefan