Re: Suggesting that feature/tree-sitter be merged (was Re: Tree-sitter a

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Suggesting that feature/tree-sitter be merged (was Re: Tree-sitter and major mode inheritance)
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 18:36:14 -0500

> I’ve though of this too, other things are indent level, and
> documentation. I wrote ghelp[1] to get a uniform interface for getting
> documentation in different major modes (because I don’t have the heart to
> understand and modify help.el). A builtin, unified documentation system
> would be nice, like eldoc. But eldoc is for at-point short and quick
> signature/doc more than for full-fledged documentation like help.el.

help.el does it specifically for ELisp and doesn't try to present
a language-independent interface for other languages.  We could/should
change that, but I agree that it's not easy.  We may want to extract
some of that code to make it available for other uses, but I suspect it
will be a small part of it.

In that vicinity there is also `info-lookup-symbol` (aka `C-h S`) and
`xref.el`.

        Stefan