Re: Tree-sitter and major mode inheritance

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter and major mode inheritance
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 23:39:37 +0200

From: Yuan Fu<casouri@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 01:41:47 -0800
Cc: Stefan Monnier<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
  Eli Zaretskii<eliz@gnu.org>,
  Theodor Thornhill<theo@thornhill.no>

Anyway, does anyone think this is a good/bad idea? Should I go implement this
on css, js, c, etc? It can also be the other way around: instead of having
c-mode being the virtual mode, we can leave c-mode as-is, and have a
c-base-mode inherited by c-mode and c-ts-mode. And similarly rss-base-mode,
rss-mode, and rss-ts-mode.
I'd prefer leaving the original modes as-is.  That should cause less
compatibility problems, I think.

Eli, what's your solution for the problem, then?

E.g. js-mode enables tree-sitter, and installs some stuff based on it.

But js2-mode inherits from js-mode (meaning, it will run the same setup code, and then some of its own), yet it has its own parser. Which will cause all sorts of conflicts with tree-sitter.