Re: Adding the `prescient` packages to NonGNU ELPA?

From: Visuwesh
Subject: Re: Adding the `prescient` packages to NonGNU ELPA?
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 22:40:31 +0530

[ஞாயிறு நவம்பர் 20, 2022] Philip Kaludercic wrote:

>> [...]
>> These are the packages I am wondering if you would be willing to add:
>>
>> - `prescient`: The base package, which provides the sorting and
>>     filtering functions and a completion style
>>
>> - `company-prescient`: Use `prescient` sorting with Company
>>
>> - `corfu-prescient`: Use `prescient` sorting and filtering with Corfu
>>
>> - `vertico-prescient`: Use `prescient` sorting and filtering with Vertico
>
> Could you explain the need for these other packages?  If we are talking
> about a completion style, why do other packages require their own
> support?

AFAIU, it is because there is no common way to call a function after
ending a completing-read and/or completion-in-region call so we end up
needing a UI specific way to do so.  The function records the selected
candidate, necessary for fuzzy(?) matching based on frequency and
recency ("frecency").
The README does a better job at explaining this than I do here (which is
based on understanding on how the package worked before it underwent
extensive rewrite).