Re: Help sought understanding shorthands wrt modules/packages

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Help sought understanding shorthands wrt modules/packages
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 08:47:39 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: matt@rfc20.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 17:21:54 -0500
>
> The message mentions :USE, and also use-package.
> I thought these were totally unrelated, and that
> usepackage realated to the sort of packages in ELPA.
>
> Could someone plesae clear this up for me?

They are completely unrelated.  use-package is basically a fancy
'require' facility, which (a) arranges for the library to be loaded
only when it is actually used, and (b) allows the users to specify in
their init file some code that needs to be run immediately before and
after the library is loaded, such as setting up some variables from
the library or which affect the library, turning on and off some
optional features of the library, loading dependency libraries, etc.