Re: More Tree Sitter Questions / Problems.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: More Tree Sitter Questions / Problems.
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2022 08:56:19 +0200

> From: Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com>
> Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 17:22:44 -0600
> Cc: emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> My concern is if Tree Sitter modes deviate too much from the old way, they
> may not catch on.  Perhaps I
> should not worry about that.  The old modes are not going anywhere so people
> can keep which ever they
> prefer.

Indeed.  Moreover, if you can easily allow both behaviors, add a user
option to select one of them, and move on.  Emacs 29.1 will be the
first release with these TS-based modes, and we will hopefully have a
lot of user feedback to guide us in making these decisions in the
future.  We cannot reasonably hope to solve all those dilemmas now, so
we must leave it for users to tell us their experiences and
preferences.

Please also keep in mind that I'd like to put out the first pretest of
Emacs 29.1 in about 2 months, so things should be becoming stable very
soon.

Thanks.