Re: Tree-sitter introduction documentation

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter introduction documentation
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 18:39:08 +0200

> From: Manuel Giraud <manuel@ledu-giraud.fr>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com>,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 16:53:45 +0100
>
> Wait, what?  I thought that emacs would come with such tree-sitter
> language definitions (at least for languages supported by
> emacs/treesitter).

No, we won't provide language grammar libraries with Emacs.  You will
have to download and install them yourself.  They are shared libraries
written in C/C++, and maintained and distributed by people who have no
affiliation with the Emacs project.

> I'm on openbsd myself and those language specific
> parsers don't seem to be packaged here: "pkg_info -Q sitter" returns
> only "tree-sitter-0.20.6p2".

Then please take this up with your distro folks.  Or build the
libraries yourself, it isn't hard.

> I'm not sure I want to play with NodeJS.

You don't need to.

> IMHO, should tree-sitter become the new official way to have programming
> modes it have to be easier to the end user, no?

Easier, yes.  But up to a point.  We cannot be expected to distribute
third-party libraries instead of the distro.