Re: Is it expected to have reserved "system.el"?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Is it expected to have reserved "system.el"?
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2023 19:05:12 +0200

> Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 19:35:26 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > move-file-to-trash is an interactive byte-compiled Lisp function in
> > ‘files.el’.
>
> > (move-file-to-trash FILENAME)
>
> > Move the file (or directory) named FILENAME to the trash.
> > When ‘delete-by-moving-to-trash’ is non-nil, this function is
> > called by ‘delete-file’ and ‘delete-directory’ instead of
> > deleting files outright.
>
> > If the function ‘system-move-file-to-trash’ is defined, call it
> >  with FILENAME as an argument.
> > Otherwise, if ‘trash-directory’ is non-nil, move FILENAME to that
> >  directory.
> > Otherwise, trash FILENAME using the freedesktop.org conventions,
> >  like the GNOME, KDE and XFCE desktop environments.  Emacs moves
> >  files only to "home trash", ignoring per-volume trashcans.
>
> >   Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 23.2.
>
> As you may see Emacs expects users to define function
> `system-move-file-to-trash' and based on that, is there notion that
> package named "system.el" is reserved for users on specific computer?

No and no.  What the above says is that if the function by that name
is defined, it will be used.  We have 2 platforms which define such a
function: MS-Windows and macOS.  On other platforms, we use our own
Lisp code in move-file-to-trash.  We don't _expect_ users to define
such a function.  And there's no claim here that no other function can
be called system-SOMETHING.

> Is prefix `system-' maybe reserved from Emacs for every specific
> system (computer)?

No.