RE: [External] : Re: master 7f53446: Doc fix for y-or-n-p; trailing spac

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: master 7f53446: Doc fix for y-or-n-p; trailing space is no longer needed
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 15:53:59 +0000

> (but `yes-or-no-p' should be fixed to add a space if there
> isnĘžt one).

I'm not following this thread, so apologies if
my comment is irrelevant or misguided.

I disagree that functions such as `yes-or-no-p'
should mess with the prompt.  If a user wants
a space after the colon, and the user forgets
to add one, that's on the user.

If a user wants NO space after the colon for
some reason, however misguided the author of
`yes-or-no-p' might think that choice is, it
should be respected - there's no reason _not_
to respect it.

`yes-or-no-p' and the like shouldn't try to
second-guess users.  Don't let it suffer from
"dwim" lameness, please.  It's up to users to
provide the prompt text they want - they have
tons of ways to do that, including `format'.

Pretty much all of the prompting functions
that append a space, or a colon plus a space,
are misguided.  OK, there's legacy, and we
accommodate that.  But let's please not ADD
to the problem by introducing more examples
of it.  Not willingly and knowingly, at any
rate.

Again, I'm not following this thread.  But
even the Subject line bit "trailing space is
no longer needed" makes me cringe, at least
in my ignorance of what "fix" is intended.

Lots of what exists might be considered "no
longer needed" by someone.  Whether users
already make use of it shouldn't be ignored.