Re: [External] : Re: master 7f53446: Doc fix for y-or-n-p; trailing spac

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: master 7f53446: Doc fix for y-or-n-p; trailing space is no longer needed
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2023 19:31:24 +0200

> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
> Cc: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>,  "emacs-devel@gnu.org"
>  <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2023 17:07:37 +0100
>
> - `y-or-n-p' has, since emacs 24.3 or so, appended a space to the prompt
> if there wasnʼt one
> - `yes-or-no-p' doesnʼt mess with the prompt
>
> This discussion is about the documentation of those two facts, which
> needs adjusting since itʼs currently incorrect. There was a suggestion
> by me to maybe align `yes-or-no-p' behaviour (what you call "dwim") to
> match `y-or-n-p', but since thatʼs 'legacy' I doubt itʼs going to be
> done.

I don't see any reasons whatsoever to mention this DWIM-ish behavior
in a doc string.  We made these functions behave like that because we
believe that would silently DTRT in every reasonable use case, so
unless someone complains about this behavior, and documenting it
somehow satisfies the complaint, we should not confuse Lisp
programmers with these details, about which they should not care.

So I've went ahead and removed this detail from the two doc string,
including the fact that y-or-n-p adds a space _before_ the
parentheses.  I hope this will put this thread to rest.