Re: CC Mode troubles and Emacs 29

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: CC Mode troubles and Emacs 29
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 09:05:36 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 15:48:12 +0000
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>

>> One of the bugs is bug #59671.
>
> I see no user-facing problems with the recipe there.  It sounds like
> you are discussing some internal feature of CC mode that potentially
> misbehaves in that case.  Why should I, as a user, care?  More
> importantly, why should I, as an Emacs maintainer, be worried due to
> this problem, which Po Lu described as a "major regression"?  I don't
> even see a regression, let alone a major one.  What did I miss?

That's just one bug of many.  If you look at the CC Mode bug tracker for
November, you'll see a lot of bugs that boil down to this: after 25 to
60 minutes of editing in a buffer, the entire buffer is filled with
green splotches (making fontification useless) and C Mode has to be
re-enabled, because CC Mode keeps misrecognizing and fontifying
identifiers as types.

Thanks.