Re: Easy things for Android port

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Easy things for Android port
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 15:50:57 +0300

* Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> [2023-01-12 09:07]:
> "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:
>
> > One question re on-screen keyboard:
> >
> > Given Emacs' heavy usage of modifier keys, simply adding on-screen
> > keyboard support may not deliver something very useful.

Please review how Termux does it, install Termux, and you will see
CTRL, ALT, keys and few others displayed above any kind of the
key. That way user can use any type of the key.

> There is a free input method for Android which does have modifier keys.
> I think it's called ``Any Soft Keyboard'' or some such.

Not only that one, there is Hacker's Keyboard and SSH keyboard, and
others.

I assume that Emacs will be offered through free software repository
for Replicant, and Android and other akin systems on
https://f-droid.org/

There are many keyboards:
https://search.f-droid.org/?q=keyboard&lang=en

But main way to have special keys can be implemented in the sense how
Termux does it. Try it out to understand. Then any key can be used
with ALT, CTRL, ESC, arrows, just as Termux displays them as buttons
above any type of keyboard.

I don't even use Hacker's Keyboard:
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard/

because Termus has those special keys, when I use Emacs on Android.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman