Reading from pipes directly with a process-filter

From: Peter
Subject: Reading from pipes directly with a process-filter
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 20:01:37 +0100

Hello!

I've been slowly sliding into using Emacs more and more like a Lisp OS,
so one thing that has come up is directly reading data from pipes or
special devices (like /dev/input/event...). I can do that fine by
running `start-process' with `cat /dev/input/event..', however that
seems a bit wasteful. Is there any way to *directly* open such a file
and put a process-filter in front of it?

Semi-relatedly, is there any support for `fnctl' or `ioctl' in elisp, so
that I could even *write* to those special devices?

Thanks for any help with this!

Greetings,
Peter