Re: treesit-language-source-alist: Presets and/or custom variable?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: treesit-language-source-alist: Presets and/or custom variable?
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 14:53:48 +0200

> From: Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org>
> Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 12:50:19 +0100
>
> (setq treesit-language-source-alist
>       '((python . ("https://github.com/tree-sitter/tree-sitter-bash.git";))
>         (markdown . ("https://github.com/ikatyang/tree-sitter-markdown.git";))
>         (rust . ("https://github.com/tree-sitter/tree-sitter-rust.git";))
>         (elisp . ("https://github.com/Wilfred/tree-sitter-elisp.git";))))
>
> and did `M-x treesit-install-language-grammar RET LANG RET' four times
> with languages above.  I'm on Win10, so Emacs built 4 .dll files and put
> them under ~/.emacs.d/tree-sitter/ -- that went smooth.  In order to
> make this more convenient for others, would it make sense to preset this
> variable with parsers available from this site[1]?

Sorry, no.  This was already discussed, and the decision was not to
populate the variable by default, so as not to increase our
maintenance burden.  Making grammar libraries available for Emacs
users is the job of downstream distros, not ours.  We have enough on
our plate already.

> Further, it seems to me that this is a user-settable variable, so I'd
> suggest to make it customizable.

It isn't supposed to be a defcustom, as it's supposed to be populated
as you compile libraries.