Re: Android port

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Android port
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 16:56:19 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 22:34:22 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > If we do decide to have this, I'd definitely want more documentation
> > of the internals and how they differ from the "traditional" platforms
> > than you have there now, and preferably in one place, not scattered
> > among the many source files, Makefile's, and READMEs.
>
> Sure.  Please feel free to describe what you find confusing, and I will
> try to document it in the README in the java directory.

It isn't just about the Java directory.  It's every point where the
Android port deviates from its desktop/laptop behavior.  Starting with
dumping, then the fact that we compile to shared libraries instead of
executables, etc. etc.

> > Then there are the design decisions you made: how to support windows
> > and frames, how to handle the "task-killer" issues, how to handle the
> > Android's access rights and privileges system, etc.
>
> > For instance, I was quite surprised to see lack of support for scroll
> > bars on account of them being "useless": I'm a happy user of an
> > Android smartphone, and I use the scroll bars all the time.
>
> I tried to find the scroll bars in a real (as in, not Emacs) Android
> application, and could not find any at all.

?? The Web browser comes to mind and the email client.  The scroll bar
in both is quite functional.