Fwd: emacs empty startup time increased from v 27.1 to 29.0 by factor 3?

From: John Yates
Subject: Fwd: emacs empty startup time increased from v 27.1 to 29.0 by factor 3?
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 12:20:57 -0500

Reposting to emacs-devel at Eli's behest.

Re my suggested parallel, Eli asked:

How many hundreds?  Emacs 29 loads almost 300 *.eln files at startup.

I have never needed to answer that question.

I work on the code generation middle-end.  When I modify one of its
fundamental headers over 350 modules get rebuilt.  (That number
reflects poor dependency management, which is being addressed.)
There are probably just as many modules unrelated to code generation
(e.g. UI, graphics, etc).

/john