Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 16:32:46 -0800

>>> Here are the questions I think we want to be answered to finalize the
>>> implementation and effects of 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation':
>>>
>>>   . Do people actually use 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation' or
>>>     the corresponding environment variable?  If so, for what reasons,
>>>     and why tweaking 'native-comp-eln-load-path' to direct the *.eln
>>>     files to some other place, including the temporary-file directory,
>>>     was not enough?
>>
>> I do.
>>
>> When running Emacs ada-mode tests, I spawn lots of Emacsen. If each one
>> tries to native compile stuff, it just slows down the tests.
>
> Any reason you use `inhibit-automatic-native-compilation` rather than
> `native-comp-deferred-compilation`?

Hmm. That is the variable I'm currently using, but I thought it was
deprecated. In addition, it doesn't seem to be declared:

M-x describe-variable only finds
native-comp-deferred-compilation-deny-list.

Maybe native-comp-deferred-compilation is only declared in a let-binding
somewhere?

So if native-comp-deferred-compilation is fully supported in it's
current form, I'm happy.

--
-- Stephe