Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 21:41:06 +0000

On Sat 28 Jan 2023, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org,  akrl@sdf.org,  larsi@gnus.org,
>> rlb@defaultvalue.org
>> Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 13:00:48 -0500

>> > So you are saying that the "prevent writing trampolines" part of
>> > inhibit-automatic-native-compilation is not needed?
>>
>> I'm saying it's only needed temporarily, until we fix our compilation
>> system so trampolines are pregenerated.
>
> Can we decide that "temporarily" we will write trampolines even if
> native-compilation was disabled, i.e. go back to what we had in Emacs
> 28?

`comp-enable-subr-trampolines' is also relevant.

In bug #60996 Windows builds currently error on delete-file for a
trampoline .eln file if inhibit-automatic-native-compilation is non-nil
(because Windows does not allow the .eln file to be deleted while it
is loaded as a DLL).

If inhibit-automatic-native-compilation is non-nil and
comp-enable-subr-trampolines is nil then the delete-file error is
avoided (at a cost of losing correct handling of advised primitives).

    AndyM