Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Finalizing 'inhibit-automatic-native-compilation'
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 12:18:33 -0500

>> > Are you alluding to some uses we've heard about, or is this just a
>> > theoretical possibility?  AFAIU, for this to be a real issue, we'd
>> > need a use where the user (a) disables native-compilation for some
>> > reason, but (b) still wants advices of natively-compiled code to
>> > work.  Why would someone do something like that?
>>
>> (a) definitely happens.
>> (b) is completely outside the control of the user, it's just a matter of
>> the user using a package which relies on such an advice.  I'd be very
>> surprised if this never happens.
>
> I asked why would advice be needed while compiling/loading files with
> natively-compilation disabled?

Since this is only relevant for Emacsen compiled with native-compilation
support, the natively compiled code would presumably come from the
pre-native-compiled files that are bundled/dumped with Emacs.

And then the rest of the code (the one that installs the advice, for
example) may or may not be native-compiled: that doesn't make
a difference to the need for a trampoline.

        Stefan