Re: [ELPA] New package: denote-menu

From: Protesilaos Stavrou
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: denote-menu
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 08:37:02 +0200

Hello Mohamed, Stefan,

> From: Mohamed Suliman <sulimanm@tcd.ie>
> Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 13:29:18 +0000

>> Sounds very nice, but I wonder if it wouldn't be nicer to integrate it
>> directly into the `denote` package so users don't need to install this
>> additional package.
>
> That was my initial thought, but I think that the purpose of the denote
> package is for note creation. How a user chooses to view their notes is
> up to them. I think including this in denote would (implicitly) impose a
> viewing method and so that's why I've decided to make denote-menu a
> standalone package.
>
> I'd be interested to hear what Prot (denote's maintainer) thinks about
> its inclusion...

I think keeping the two separate is easier for maintenance.  Otherwise
there will be too much for me to take care of.

In theory, we can have an indeterminate number of Denote extensions:
some small, some large.  How useful those are depends on the user's
preferences and requirements.  Setting a precedent where we keep those
decoupled from the "core" will help us avoid uncertainty.

That granted, I am happy to discuss all extension-related issues in the
Denote mailing list.  This includes development topics, announcements of
new versions, general questions...

All the best,
Prot

--