Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 16:56:51 +0200

On 17/02/2023 16:40, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I understand that
you disagree, but I respectfully request that you-all assume that
either I'm right here (in that I consider the alternatives to be
worse), or if I'm wrong, it is for me to make this mistake and learn
from it.  Please give me some minimal credit that I have thought long
and hard about the possible alternatives, and didn't arrive at this
conclusion easily, and that I'm also fully aware that changing the
behavior by loading a package is not good, in and of itself.

I suppose there is not much to add here, and the mistake (if it is one, respectfully) is yours to make.

I just don't understand what's your plan here regarding Emacs 29. What's going to happen next? What kind of feedback will you be looking for?

What I think will happen, is people will try out the new modes, some will suffer the inconveniences we warned about here and possibly think less of Emacs as a result; others will avoid those problems by accident; yet a lot more users will never try these new modes and thus avoid the problems as well.

If we're lucky, we get a couple of new bug reports associated with it, maybe 1-6 months after the release: a lot of users don't report problems, much less these less obvious ones, where the behavior doesn't end up in a "error" written somewhere. The reports will likely repeat some of what's already been said.

At what point does this turn into some kind of conclusion, and a teaching moment, so to speak?