Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 08:04:20 -0800

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> I just don't understand what's your plan here regarding Emacs 29. What's
> going to happen next? What kind of feedback will you be looking for?
>
> What I think will happen, is people will try out the new modes, some
> will suffer the inconveniences we warned about here and possibly think
> less of Emacs as a result;

Changing Emacs' behavior upon loading a file is very bad.  We already
know this (we even put it at the top of our coding conventions), and the
fix is trivial.  So from my point of view, there is no need to wait for
users to tell us about it; we can act on it immediately.

In comparison, I consider changing `auto-mode-alist' upon enabling a
major mode a mere annoyance.  I'll be able to hack my way around it
myself, of course, but I think it will make for a bad user experience.
Especially since it breaks our existing conventions: users are not
trained to know that enabling a mode in one buffer will change
`auto-mode-alist' globally.  It is surprising, to say the least.

Restarting Emacs is not a solution at all.  It breaks my workflow, and I
know that it breaks that of many users (e.g. those that start Emacs as a
daemon when logging in).