Re: Explain a bit more on how to configure language server in Eglot's ma

From: Augusto Stoffel
Subject: Re: Explain a bit more on how to configure language server in Eglot's manual
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 11:34:12 +0100

On Sat,  4 Mar 2023 at 20:45, Yuan Fu wrote:

> Recently I was trying to use eglot with rust-analyzer and configure
> rust-analyzer. It turns out more confusing than it should be, and I
> think we can add a paragraph to eglot’s manual to help others like me.

I gave a suggestion in bug#61868 to make the
eglot-show-workspace-configuration buffer editable so that you can
commit changes with C-c C-c, fetch old configuration with M-n/M-p, etc.,
a bit like VC or Magit commit buffers.

> This is not something only rust-analyzer does. I surveyed a bunch of
> language servers, all the servers that support LSP’s
> workspaceConfiguration (typescript, rust, python, OCaml, Haskell,
> perl, Java) describe their configuration in the xxx.xx.xxx
> format. Because this is the format one can copy and paste into
> VSCode’s setting file.

I've argued in favor of that in the past, but now I think loc. cit. is a
better idea.

The best solution IMO, thought, would be if the server could announce
the schema of configurations it accepts, including types and docstrings.
Then one could construct an easy Customize interface.  But unfortunately
there is no such thing in the LSP spec.