Re: Indentation and gc

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Indentation and gc
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 13:38:54 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> > And I take every opportunity to tell people not to do.
>>
>> I am afraid that it is not very helpful.
>
> I'm sorry if I'm unhelpful, but did you ever read the posts that I
> wrote on this issue?  E.g., here:
>
>   https://old.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/bg85qm/garbage_collector_magic_hack/

Not really. I am not following reddit so much closely to I notice all
the comments buried in various posts.

What about expanding the relevant paragraph in the manual with examples
when increasing the threshold too much is dangerous?

     The initial threshold value is ‘GC_DEFAULT_THRESHOLD’, defined in
     ‘alloc.c’.  Since it’s defined in ‘word_size’ units, the value is
     400,000 for the default 32-bit configuration and 800,000 for the
     64-bit one.  If you specify a larger value, garbage collection will
     happen less often.  This reduces the amount of time spent garbage
     collecting, but increases total memory use.  You may want to do
     this when running a program that creates lots of Lisp data.
     However, we recommend against increasing the threshold for
     prolonged periods of time, and advise that you never set it higher
     than needed for the program to run in reasonable time.  Using
     thresholds higher than necessary could potentially cause
     system-wide memory pressure, and should therefore be avoided.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,