Re: Git snafu

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: Git snafu
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 09:44:09 -0700

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 14:13:50 -0700
From: Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com>
Cc: eliz@gnu.org

In fact, we can do something even simpler than that: just set the config
option "user.useConfigOnly" to true. See attached. Does this look ok to
everyone?

How do we know no one is using several email accounts, and would like
to avoid the annoyance of being prompted by Git?

I *do* use several email accounts, and this setting works properly for me. My normal configuration is to have something like this in my ~/.gitconfig (repeated for a few other directories):

  # Set user info for repos inside ~/src
  [includeIf "gitdir:~/src/"]
    path = ~/src/.gitconfig

Then, in my Emacs clone, I override my email address again (to this one). With this combination of settings, everything works exactly as expected with "user.useConfigOnly" set.

I can also set the author of a single commit via "git commit --author" with "user.useConfigOnly" set (so that option is arguably a bit of a misnomer; from reading the documentation[1], it really only means "don't guess the user information").

Similarly, if I wanted to set the *committer*, I could use:

  git -c user.name=Foo -c user.email=foo@example.com commit ...

The only time a *new* error occurs (that I can see, anyway) is if you completely skip configuring your user info *anywhere*. Then, "git commit" or "git commit --author" will fail (the latter fails because Git still had to guess the *committer*). In this case, you can just use "git -c user.name ..." as described above, and all is well.

All that said, I agree that this problem is a rare enough circumstance that we probably don't really *need* to make my suggested change. I think it's a low-risk change, but I won't be upset if we just leave things as they are.

[1] https://git-scm.com/docs/git-config#Documentation/git-config.txt-useruseConfigOnly