Re: Bug?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bug?
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 07:41:14 +0300

> From: Shynur Xie <one.last.kiss@outlook.com>
> CC: "emacs-devel@gnu.org" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>, "luangruo@yahoo.com"
>       <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 20:57:36 +0000
> msip_labels:
>
> >> I also noticed that when the closing bracket is comprised of
> >> multiple characters, only the first character is high-lit using
> >> that face. For example, in shell-script-mode, when `esac` matches
> >> `case`, only the `c` in `case` is high-lit. Perhaps this new
> >> feature isn't quite finished yet.
> >
> > Shynur, could you please fix this deficiency?
>
> Patch is attached.  To highlight the entire matched opening delimiter:
>     (show-paren-mode)
>     (setq blink-matching-paren-offscreen t
>           show-paren-context-when-offscreen t)

Thanks, but I don't think I understand: didn't you tell that the
problem reported above is not a bug, but the expected and long-time
behavior of blink-matching-paren?  If so, what exactly does this patch
fix?

> I also changed the function `blink-paren-open-paren-line-string':
> Originally, say here's a shell script
>     case case
>          ... <- many lines
>          esac* <- cursor here
> both `blink-matching-open' and `show-paren-mode' emitted "case c";
> Now `show-paren-mode' instead emits "case case" if
> `show-paren-context-when-offscreen' is t.

This seems to be about show-paren-mode, not about
blink-matching-paren.  Those are different, though related, features.