Re: emacs-29 9b775ddc057 1/2: ; * etc/EGLOT-NEWS: Fix wording of last ch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-29 9b775ddc057 1/2: ; * etc/EGLOT-NEWS: Fix wording of last change.
Date: Sun, 07 May 2023 13:55:28 +0300

> Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 12:50:31 +0300
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>
>
> > Also, "/ u" should ideally show built-in packages as well, when
> > package-install-upgrade-built-in is non-nil.
>
> So we think upgrading built-in packages could be dangerous, but if the
> user wants to upgrade Eglot, then upgrading all built-ins is suddenly fine?

It is not dangerous, it just isn't what Emacs 28 did.

> If we don't actually consider upgrading of all built-ins to be a
> problem, and are just hesitant to enable it in Emacs 29, then I guess it
> is fine.

There are arguments both ways, and situations where Emacs 28 behaved
this way or the other.  So optional behavior seems to strike the right
balance between the opposites.

> Otherwise, we've had a pretty good idea posted previously: patch where a
> variable holds the list of builtins that should be upgraded automatically.

I don't think this is TRT.  There's nothing special about those two
packages in this regard.