Re: emacs-29 9b775ddc057 1/2: ; * etc/EGLOT-NEWS: Fix wording of last ch

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: emacs-29 9b775ddc057 1/2: ; * etc/EGLOT-NEWS: Fix wording of last change.
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 12:50:31 +0300

Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 23:31:31 +0300
Cc: philipk@posteo.net, monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org
From: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>

On 06/05/2023 22:38, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
package-menu-mark-upgrades ('U') is not affected by
package-install-upgrade-built-in. It won't.

Shouldn't it?

Maybe, maybe not.

I think it better did, because using "U" would upgrade Eglot and
use-package in Emacs 28 and before.  So we should give users who want
that the capability of keeping that workflow in Emacs 29, if only as
opt-in behavior.

Also, "/ u" should ideally show built-in packages as well, when
package-install-upgrade-built-in is non-nil.

So we think upgrading built-in packages could be dangerous, but if the user wants to upgrade Eglot, then upgrading all built-ins is suddenly fine?

Philip, can these two changes be implemented safely for Emacs 29?

A user that customized that option to have (package-install 'eglot)
ensure that a version from ELPA is installed might not want or expect
for it to affect package-menu-mark-upgrades and/or package-upgrade-all.

That is true, but denying them the possibility of upgrading would be
worse, I think.  And since this is opt-in behavior, the user is less
likely to be tripped by that without realizing it.

Or anticipate the full consequences anyway.

Documentation should solve this aspect.

If the only way to get a basic scenario to work is to toggle a pref, we won't be able to go back and say "you shouldn't have toggled it".

If we don't actually consider upgrading of all built-ins to be a problem, and are just hesitant to enable it in Emacs 29, then I guess it is fine.

Otherwise, we've had a pretty good idea posted previously: patch where a variable holds the list of builtins that should be upgraded automatically.