Re: Org mode update breaking build?

From: Madhu
Subject: Re: Org mode update breaking build?
Date: Mon, 08 May 2023 17:30:17 +0530

* Alan Mackenzie <ZFKEC4EoYZeTjOhK@ACM> :
Wrote on Wed, 3 May 2023 15:55:55 +0000:
> On Wed, May 03, 2023 at 17:26:05 +0200, Tobias Bading wrote:
>> Grrr. Is it normal that Org updates break builds?
> For me, it has become normal.  I'm not happy about it.
> I don't use org, and I don't understand why I should be expected to
> debug its breaking of the build.
>
> In practice, I have to do make bootstrap every time I update my
> repositories.

I haven't update master very recently but a while ago I got into the
habit of running a script before calling `make'. the $1 parameter is the
path to src/lisp. it lists stale elc files, which I then delete by hand.

```
for i in $(find "$1" -name \*.elc); do
        j=${i%c};
        if [ ! -e "$i" ]; then
                echo "MISSING $i" >> /dev/stderr
        elif [ ! -e "$j" ]; then
                echo "MISSING $j" >> /dev/stderr
        else
                # file-newer-p.sh $j $i  # UNTESTED.
                a=$(stat -c '%Y' "$j")
                b=$(stat -c '%Y' "$i")
                if [ $a -gt $a ]; then echo "$i"; fi;
        fi
done
```

Since I started doing this, I don't think I've faced elisp recompilation
problems. But I never understood the rationale for "loading stale elc"
behaviour as a part of recompilation.  If someone can explain that I'd
appreciate it.