Re: Org mode update breaking build?

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: Org mode update breaking build?
Date: Tue, 09 May 2023 12:34:29 -0400

> * Eli Zaretskii <ryvm@tah.bet> [2023-05-03 19:58:07 +0300]:
>
> We already fixed that, but only on master.  So you don't need to
> convince anyone that this needed fixing.  We are convinced.

I built from git master and did not get any errors.
However, when I visited an org-mode file, I got this:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Org version mismatch.  Make sure that
correct ‘load-path’ is set early in init.el")
  error("Org version mismatch.  Make sure that correct `load-path' is set early
in init.el")
  byte-code(...)
  require(org-keys)
  byte-code(...)
  org-mode()
  set-auto-mode-0(org-mode nil)
  set-auto-mode()
  normal-mode(t)
  after-find-file(nil t)
  find-file-noselect-1(#<buffer xxx.txt> "~/xxx.txt" nil nil "~/xxx.txt"
(1180547 66307))
  find-file-noselect("~/xxx.txt" nil nil t)
  find-file("~/xxx.txt" t)
  funcall-interactively(find-file "~/xxx.txt" t)
  command-execute(find-file)

(along with the usual long but worthless instructions)

While I agree that those who never use org can be happy with the change,
but I would argue that this is _worse_ for me (and other - willing or
unwilling - org users).

Basically, an apparently successful build no longer guarantees that the
resulting Emacs will be working.

It would seem that if the build process can detect this "Org version
mismatch", it should just `rm -f lisp/org/*.elc` and restart (remembering
that it tried this hack to avoid an infinite loop if it does not work).

Thank you!

--
Sam Steingold (https://aphar.dreamwidth.org/) on Pop 22.04 (jammy) X
11.0.12101004