AW: emacs-29 a2d4cd06f45: Improve VHDL mode highlighting

From: Cyril Arnould
Subject: AW: emacs-29 a2d4cd06f45: Improve VHDL mode highlighting
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 11:51:29 +0000

> Cyril, are you done discussing this, or do I need to wait some more?

I was actually hoping to get Reto's and/or your input on two
points, the first one being:

> Since this introduces changes in the vhdl-compiler type, I guess
> it would be appropriate to increment the vhdl-version number?

I've seen that on Reto's website, the latest vhdl-version number
is 3.38.4, while in the emacs repository it's at 3.38.1. I'm not
sure if this is intentional or if it simply hasn't been tracked
in emacs. If development is not intended to diverge, we could
skip ahead to 3.38.5 or 3.39.1.

The second point is that we now have two solutions for backwards
compatibility code. There's my original solution which is a
slight modification of already established backwards
compatibility code. Alternatively, there's the solution
elaborated with Mattias which should be safer but is less
tested. If using a more "experimental" solution is no problem
then we can go ahead with the new approach.