Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: devil

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: devil
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 09:33:02 +0300

> From: Payas Relekar <relekarpayas@gmail.com>
> Cc: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>,  susam.pal@gmail.com,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 10:53:15 +0530
>
> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Why use the name "Devil" for this?  It doesn't seen to explain anything
> > about the package's purpose.  It is likely to put some people off.
>
> Every name is going to put someone or another off, can't really help it.
> OpenBSD has their daemon and there are already funny anecdotes about it,
> but it doesn't hurt anyone.

"daemon" is a term whose meaning in computing context is widely
accepted for many years.  "Devil' isn't.

> > If there is no clear reason why "Devil" is a good name, let's choose
> > a better name now.
>
> As mentioned by Susam in previous mail, as well as the repo README, the
> name refers both to 'eVil' (extensible Vi Layer) as well as 'God-mode'.

People are extremely unlikely to understand that, even if they know
about Evil in Emacs.  And even if they do figure out this is related
to Evil, the truth is that the package is not meant to be used by
users of Evil.

> The name is distinct, and I like it for what it is.

Please reconsider, I think this name is very unfortunate, because it
gives users no clue whatsoever about the package's purpose.

Thanks.