Re: [ELPA] New package: dict

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: dict
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 14:14:45 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Eshel Yaron <me@eshelyaron.com>
>> Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 16:22:06 +0300
>>
>> The main motivation behind this package was to resolve some usability issues
>> that I came across with dictionary.el.  Namely, I'm not satisfied with the
>> fact
>> that dictionary.el unconditionally switches to the *Dictionary* buffer when
>> displaying a definition, and I don't appreciate how it tries to remember my
>> previous windows configuration and revert back to it when I close the
>> *Dictionary* buffer with the q key.  Of course, I'm open to the possibility
>> of
>> modifying dictionary.el instead of adding this separate package GNU ELPA if
>> anyone thinks that's preferable, but I also think it would be nice to let
>> people
>> try out Dict and get some feedback beforehand.
>
> I think if we could augment dictionary.el so as to satisfy your needs,
> perhaps as some kind of minor mode or user option, that would be
> better than having an entirely separate package.

I don't think that is possible, Eshel writes on his website:

   Dict’s differentiation comes from its simplicity and
   extensibility–while dictionary.el defines a bespoke major mode and
   interface for browsing word definitions, Dict leverages Emacs’s Help
   mode by default, and let’s you extend and control every aspect of its
   behavior via customization options.

   dict.el is also shorter than dictionary.el–just under 300 lines of
   code!

This is a ERC vs rcirc like situation.