Re: [ELPA] New package: dict

From: Eshel Yaron
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: dict
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 21:50:57 +0300

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Eshel Yaron <me@eshelyaron.com>
>> Cc: philipk@posteo.net,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 09:41:52 +0300
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>> > How about adding to dictionary.el a customizable function that
>> > dictionary-search would call instead of its default operation?
>>
>> Thanks, this would be a good way to expose the different behavior that I
>> want to add.  However, my difficulty lies elsewhere.  The issue I
>> brought up in my previous message is with implementing this behavior
>> without introducing unnecessary code duplication to dictionary.el.
>>
>> In short, we need two things: a way to obtain a word's definition and a
>> way to obtain dictionary matches given some input (for completion).
>> dictionary.el does these things already, but in way that's too coupled
>> with its user interface to admit reuse for my purposes.  So the question
>> is whether to add the needed stuff from Dict to dictionary.el and accept
>> some code duplication, or try to refactor the parts of dictionary.el
>> that communicate with the dictionary server to provide a cleaner API.
>
> I'd say try the latter if it's reasonably easy; otherwise try the
> former.

Alright, I'm attaching a patch that extends dictionary.el with new user
options that modify the behavior of `dictionary-search`.  With this
patch, `dictionary-search` behaves like my `dict-describe-word` after
applying the following customizations:

(setq dictionary-read-dictionary-function
      #'dictionary-completing-read-dictionary)
(setq dictionary-read-word-function
      #'dictionary-completing-read-word)
(setq dictionary-display-definition-function
      #'dictionary-display-definition-in-help-buffer)